[overture] Re: mast-sail

  • From: Bill Henshaw <henshaw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: overture@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:34:27 -0700

Hi Alessandro,

On 04/25/2012 03:50 AM, Alessandro Orchini wrote:
Hi all,

I want to generate a grid similar to the 2d mast-sail grid in the examples, and
then make this grid move under the RigidBodyMotion class.

I noticed that actually in this way I build up 2 separate physical boundaries
("sail-grid" and "stretched-mast-grid" in the sampleGrids), that are connected
sharing a part of the boundary.

I wonder if is then possible to run this grid under the RigidBodyMotion Class:

Which grid(s) should I move?
If both of them, does the shared boundary option take into account that part of
the sail is included in two different grids when computing fluid-dynamic forces
on the whole body?

This should work. After defining the type of motion you can choose multiple
grids to move. The forces
will be computed on the entire body.

Since I'm not sure about this, I tried to build a unique spline mapping, and to
construct a hyperbolic grid on it, but I cannot find good parameters and I
always encounter errors like

"HyperbolicMapping:ERROR: A negative volume has been detected at step..."

Can this be connected to the fact that my polygon is concave?
And is actually the hyperbolic way a better solution?

Have you looked at the hyperbolic.pdf documentation?  It shows examples
of changing some parameters.

...Bill