Re: unique constraint violation on 8i import but not on 9i

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Michael McMullen" <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, "Norman Dunbar" <norman.dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 14:59:54 -0400

On 7/4/07, Michael McMullen <ganstadba@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Get off your high horse.

2 Mike:
LOL. Not that I unexpected that answer but it's better to be the
knight on the high horse than be under that horse. ;) But I digress.

If you import large number of rows into the table - you wouldn't want
that table pre-created with indexes if you want to do the import fast
so I can assume for 750GB database you would create indexes after the
data is imported. Actually, import does it this way by default - first
insert and then build indexes. Since you mentioned unique key
violation - the unique key was already created before importing the
rows.

So providing more context and information, as you did in the follow
up, helps much more.
Btw, what wound me up is the following:
I don't have time
to investigate this right now, just looking for a quick hit from the list.
I couldn't resist starting the rant again. :)

(ALEX : No guessing done here - past experience!)
My guess is that we differ a wee bit about what each of us thinks is a
guess, but that we both endorse applying logic and science to
troubleshooting.

2 Mark & Norman,
Well, it's difficult to draw the distinct line between a wild guess
and a hint that leads the investigation process. I wish I knew that
distinction.

Cheers,
Alex

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://blog.oracloid.com