Re: pvid not updating on node2 on aix oracle rac install

  • From: Stefan Koehler <contact@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, sundarmahadevan82@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:41:56 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Sundar,
well the usual procedure for pvid on both nodes:

a) Node 1
-- shell> cfgmgr -S
-- shell> chdev -l hdisk<X> -a pv=yes

b) Node 2
-- shell> cfgmgr -S

As you already got the pvid on node 1 you should only run the command on node
2. You can also remove the hdisk<X> (shell> rmdev -dl hdisk<X>) on node
2 before running cfgmgr, if you already discovered the disk with none before.

If I see the pvid on both nodes, I can confirm that the disk is shared
between both nodes

The same pvid on both nodes does not necessarily mean that the disk can be
shared (e.g. SCSI resets, etc.). The pvid can also change without notice of
all nodes or update of ODM (e.g. user handling error). Please check this IBM
note to differ between pvid on disk and pvid in ODM
(http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=isg3T1019281)

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: @OracleSK

Sundar Mahadevan <sundarmahadevan82@xxxxxxxxx> hat am 27. April 2015 um 21:04
geschrieben:

Hi All,
Greetings. As part of the prerequisite for installing oracle 11gR2 RAC on 2
AIX 7.1 LPARs, my sys admin setup the shared disks. As per page 117 on
E48294-01, 3.3.3 Configuring Disk Devices for Oracle ASM, when I set the pvid
on node1 for a shared disk, node2 still reports the pvid as none.
odmget -q "name=hdisk3 and attribute=unique_id" CuAt| grep value displays the
same value on node1 and node2. If I see the pvid on both nodes, I can
confirm that the disk is shared between both nodes. Instead I have to take my
sys admin's word. I doubt if i will have trouble during prerequisite
install check. Metalink and google refer to setting the pvid but nothing more
on pvid not updating on node 2. Has anyone faced this before? Any
suggestions.

Highly appreciate your time and effort. Thanks to this wonderful group for
sharing the knowledge.