RE: problem running dbca

  • From: Joe Cooper <aregularjoe8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Les.Hollis@xxxxxx, Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, stephenbooth.uk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:06:39 -0700 (PDT)

We're running 10.1.0.3 on SuSE 9 (which is an Oracle-certified combination),
and I had to file a TAR for this problem exactly.  After several iterations of
fruitless back-n-forth with tech spt, I found the following link:

http://www.orablogs.com/gdavison/archives/000286.html
A thread on this blog recommended, as a workaround, removing/renaming the
following library files:
$ORACLE_HOME/oui/jlib/classes12.jar
$ORACLE_HOME/oc4j/jdbc/lib/nls_charset12.jar
(A third file was mentioned, but I didn't find it on my server.)
I renamed these files, then the 'dbca' utility worked.  (NOTE:  'netca' is also
affected by this.)

I updated the TAR telling Oracle that I wasn't to thrilled with this kludgy way
of doing things.  But they apparently didn't have a better answer, as their
response was:  (this is cut-n-pasted directly from the TAR)

"The work-around is acceptable and should not cause a problem with other GUI
Apps on your machine."

A final note:  the blog is geared toward Mac users, but it worked for my
Windows XP desktop that I use with Reflections-X to talk with the LINUX server.

HTH

Joe Cooper
Senior Oracle DBA
Highline Data
Austin, TX

"Hollis, Les" <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx> wrote:
You know, I have an install of SuSE 8.0 that I installed 9.2.0.1 on
top of and had absolutely NO problems with it...

Guess it's the later releases f Linux (9.0 etc ) that just don't like to
play together....