RE: pl/sql to be desupported in favour of java? (not!)

  • From: "Richard J. Goulet" <rgoulet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:34:12 -0500

These kinds of turf wars are totally unproductive.  I've been to several
Oracle sponsored events where the subject of Java & PL/SQL has been
discussed.  Oracle has remained very consistent on the subject, saying
that both will exist and continue to exist for a long time.  Their
mantra is rather consistent as well namely "use pl/sql where database
integration is the ultimate goal, while using Java where it shines
best.".  Ultimately both I believe will remain, kinda like Cobol &
Fortran, for years to come especially as the Microsoft/non Microsoft
operating platform continues to burn.  Java is the only language that is
truly platform independent.  So like it or not, if your building things
that HAVE to run on all flavors of Unix or MS your stuck with Java.

        BTW: As far as Microsoft's C# is concerned, it can simply return
to that smelly, festering hole in Redmond that it came from.  I
personally don't know of anyone doing anything with it.  Again, it's
simply too MS specific.

Dick Goulet, Senior Oracle DBA
45 Bartlett St  Marlborough, Ma 01752, USA
Tel.: 508.573.1978 |Fax:  508.229.2019 | Cell:508.742.5795
RGoulet@xxxxxxxxxx
: POWERING TRANSFORMATION