RE: ot - laptop for dba

  • From: Juan Miranda <jcmiranda@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <girlgeek@xxxxxxxx>, <william.muriithi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jpiwowar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:05:42 +0200

Hi

I think is best to use Vmware Workstation (or something like).
This way you can start any OS immediately and don´t need to restart.

When I finish an installation I always do an Acronis OS image, convert it
into a virtual disk and open it with VM Wokstation.
This way I have lot´s of OSs and diferent installations on my laptop.

I have these virtual machines suspendend so it took seconds to bring it up.

There are several other benefits:
Easy copy and backup, appliances:
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/, snapshots, etc.etc.

I think it´s a MUST HAVE.