Re: ot - laptop for dba

  • From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 17:42:17 -0600

I'm on my second Thinkpad running Windows (XP) and Ubuntu. I keep the Windows install because

1) Websites that only work with Internet Explorer. I can't stand those sites...but I don't always have a choice.
2) Windows software that does not run or run well under Linux or Wine
3) Oracle installs on each O/S, so I can test functionality under different versions.

It only takes a few minutes to reboot to a different O/S.

Regards,
Daniel Fink

David wrote:
I'd say wipe your windows install and put Linux on it instead. You will be able to run Oracle in a proper Unix-like machine that comes with a nice, fast and easy-to-use interface.

My 2 pennies.

David

On 31 May 2010 22:07, Pedro Alvarez Espinoza <raindoctor@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:raindoctor@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Whatever laptop you buy, wipe out the factory windows install.
    Thats one way to get rid of crapware  that HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc
    put on your laptop and make money off it. Before wiping out,
    backup drivers using drivermax and download the relevant iso from
    the following link and burn it to a dvd.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/11/10/windows-7-iso-x86-and-x64-official-direct-download-links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/

    On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Claudia Zeiler
    <girlgeek@xxxxxxxx <mailto:girlgeek@xxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Time for a new laptop.  Shall I switch to a Mac?  I have seen
        DBA's using Macs, but I wonder, do any have a toy database on
        the Mac?  How?  There is no Oracle certified for Mac that I
know of.
        Thanks for any tips.

        -Claudia

        Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get
        more from your inbox. See how.

<http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?ocid=PID28326::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_2>