oracle client on XP

  • From: "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:33:07 -0500

List,
 We are migrating our client PC's to XP and have located a permissions
problem with the Oracle sub-directories.
We loaded the PC with xp -sp1 then sp2 as the administrator.
Then we installed the Oracle 9.2 client. When a reqular user attempts
to acces the Oracle/home92 the user
gets "access denied". The detailed method of correcting this problem is
to change the network access permissions to "classic",
change the security on the folder to inherit the parent directory
permissions. It appears that SP-2 changed the security greatly
when it allows the admin to run the Oracle install but the instillation
is created by the Oracle java program. The Oracle installer
does not have permissions to allow access to the sub directories.
Has anyone else encountered these problems and what was the fix other
than I indicated?
I could not find a client that was expressly for XP with SP-2.
If if wasn't for the email program I would use linux. Maybe when the
next Novell/SUSE release is installed here I can eliminate
the client problems by using a linux based client.
Thanks,
Ron