RE: oracle client on XP

  • From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <RROGERS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:09:58 -0500

Fix for this one is both easy and difficult.

It is easy to fix it - user with local admin "powers" has to log on to
each and every XP box with Oracle 9 client, then position himself/herself
at the root of the problem (the C:\oracle\ora92 folder), right click on
the folder, Properties, "Advanced" button on Security tab, Permission
tab, check both check boxes (both "Inherit from parent..." and "Replace
permission entries on all child objects...") press on "Apply" button and
watch change being "pushed" over gazillion files and folders there.

That was the easy part after which all "normal" (nonadmin that is) users
will be able to access stuff from C:\oracle\ora92\bin folder.

Hard part however has to do with "each and every XP box" that local
Nimda have to visit in person to clickety-click to bring "in line"...

Resource kit xacls.exe utility may help to some degree with this task:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/xcacls-o
.asp

By the way, this problem is Oracle-on-XP related and predates both the
SP1 and SP2.

Logical conclusion (of why on earth it wasn't fixed before) is that XP
boxes in your environment run in non-preferred mode!? You see in Winduhs
environment it is standard practice that everyone (and his dog) logs/runs
as local Admin... Since apparently hardly anyone in "real world" runs XP
like your organization tries to, problem escaped detection/fixation cycle
up until now ;-)

Branimir