Re: long term archivelog retention

  • From: Kevin Jernigan <kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fuzzy.graybeard@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:20:03 -0700

There is actually a way to back-fill your history in Flashback Data
Archive: there are sample scripts on OTN to do exactly that.
The question for the original post on this thread is whether they need
to flash back their entire database, or if they need to be able to look
at what some of their tables looked like at various points in time in
the past 12 months. If it's the latter, then Flashback Data Archive
could be a good fit.

And, FDA is currently part of the Advanced Compression Option (ACO), but
there are plans to make most of the functionality available in both EE
and SE at no additional charge; the one exception will be compression of
the FDA history tables: that will still require licensing ACO. We view
the functionality in FDA as programming / app dev APIs, and we want to
make it easy for customers, partners, ISV's, etc to use it when building
new apps, enhancing existing apps, etc.

-KJ

*Kevin Jernigan*        (650) 607-0392 (o)
*Senior Director Product Management*    (415) 710-8828 (m)
kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kevin.jernigan@xxxxxxxxxx>
*Advanced Compression - ACO*:   *Information Lifecycle Management* - ILM
   Advanced Row Compression     *Temporal database* (Total Recall etc)
   Advanced LOB Compression     *SecureFiles*
   Advanced LOB Deduplication   *Database File System* - DBFS
   RMAN Backup Compression      *Direct NFS Client* - dNFS
   Data Pump Export Compression         *CloneDB*
   Data Guard Redo Network Transport Compression        *Database Resource
Manager* - DBRM
   Flashback Data Archive History Table Optimization    *Continuous Query
Notification* - CQN
*Hybrid Columnar Compression* - HCC     *Index Organized Tables* - IOT
*Database Smart Flash Cache*    *OISP*