Re: listener.ora search order

  • From: Paul Drake <discgolfdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:57:00 -0800 (PST)

--- Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Without actually reading the manual and doing any
> research ( it is Sunday morning, and I don't feel
> like doing any ) I would say this is to be expected.
>
> tnsnames.ora is used to resolve instance locations
> on a network.  It doesn't really matter which
> version of client you are using, you want it to
> follow a certain search order.
>
> On *nix it looks in $HOME/.tnsnames.ora, and then
> in $TNS_ADMIN/tnsnames.ora, and then in
> $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora.
>
> There's something similar in Win32, but I forget
> the location details for the $HOME equiv.
>
> Listener on the other hand should run the
> listener.ora
> from the current Oracle home.  You could conceivably
> have several different versions of listener running,
>
> each from a different Oracle home.
>
> tnsnames.ora is used to lookup names, listener.ora
> is
> used to control the daemon that creates connections
> to the database. Quite a difference between the two.
>
> I'll leave it to you to verify if this is correct
> from
> the fine manual.
>
> Jared

Jared,

I believe that you are taking an entirely too
sophisticated approach. :D
You may be overthinking the problem.

It could be that the most simple explanation would be:

C:\> path

if the path has d:\oracle\ora81\bin first, it launches
the file d:\oracle\ora81\bin\lsnrctl.exe, which reads
the listener.ora file in its respective home.

if the path has d:\oracle\ora92\bin first, it launches
the file d:\oracle\ora92\bin\lsnrctl.exe, which reads
the listener.ora file in its respective home.

I used to run both 8.1.7 and 9.2 listeners on a box,
until gaining comfort that only 9.2 listeners were
needed for handling connection requests for both 817
and 92 dbs. each read their own config file. the
listener name did not have to be unique across config
files. the OS service names were unique, however, as
the oracle version was in their name (e.g.
OracleOraHome81TNSListener)

Paul