listener.ora search order

  • From: "Charu Joshi" <joshic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:16:45 +0530

Hi,

This is not a critical issue, but important for my understanding.

OS: NT4
Multiple Homes: ora_8i_home (d:\ora8i), ora_9i_home(d:\ora9i), and
2 others..
Selected Home: ora_8i_home
TNS_ADMIN environment variable: d:\ora9i\network\admin

1.When I run 'lsnrctl start' command, it reads the
d:\ora8i\network\admin\listener.ora file.

2.If I remove this file and run 'lsnrtctl start', it reads the
'd:\ora9i\network\admin\listerner.ora' file.

In both the above cases, the TNSNames.ora files is read from the
%TNS_ADMIN% location, but evidently not listerner.ora. Why? It
seems that lsnrctl is searching in each Oracle Home for
listerner.ora (as per registry order) and uses the first one that
it finds.

There used to be a 7.3.4 client installation on my machine, which
I removed as per metalink note 73963.1, so that there is no
DEFAULT_HOME at present. After this, I found that another home
DEFAULT_HOME1 was automatically added to registry with the same
path as that of the earlier DEFAULT_HOME. Could this have
something to do with the anamoly?

Any ideas/suggestion please?

Thanks and regards,
Charu.

PS: Can we not specify the path of listener.ora explicitly while
running lsnrctl?

Disclaimer

is strictly prohibited.