Re: Column Width Increase for Replication Object

  • From: Paul Baumgartel <treegarden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 17:34:40 -0800 (PST)

There's a third way to do this, and AFAIK, it's the _supported_ way to
do it:  quiesce the group, run dbms_repcat.alter_master_repobject,
followed by dbms_repcat.generate_replication_support.  The first option
mentioned below should be OK as well, but the second is not going to be
supported--query MetaLink to find some forum posts in which Oracle
Support says so explicitly.  An advantage of using
alter_master_repobject is that you only have to run it on the Master
Definition site and changes are propagated to the other masters.

--- alan.aschenbrenner@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Jay,
>
>     There are at least two ways that I know of to do this.  First,
> the
> method you suggested - quiesce replication, perform your changes on
> all
> databases in the replication group, re-generate replication support,
> and
> finally restart replication.  (To answer you question below, yes, you
> do
> need to regenerate replication support because the object has
> changed.)
> The problem with this method is that is causes DML downtime (users
> can't
> insert, update, or delete) on all objects in the replication group.
> Selects can still be performed though.
>     The second method is to use the dbms_repcat.execute_ddl
> procedure.  It
> applies DDL changes through the replication system, without the need
> quiesce.  I've only used the execute_ddl procedure a couple times,
> but it
> worked great.  However, I have read about problems with it on
> metalink, so
> you might want to research it before you try it.
>
> Here's how it's used:
>
> exec

dbms_repcat.execute_ddl('Rep_Group_Name','Site1,Site2,Site3,...','DDL_Command');