Re: Column Width Increase for Replication Object

  • From: alan.aschenbrenner@xxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:55:00 -0700

Jay,

    There are at least two ways that I know of to do this.  First, the
method you suggested - quiesce replication, perform your changes on all
databases in the replication group, re-generate replication support, and
finally restart replication.  (To answer you question below, yes, you do
need to regenerate replication support because the object has changed.)
The problem with this method is that is causes DML downtime (users can't
insert, update, or delete) on all objects in the replication group.
Selects can still be performed though.
    The second method is to use the dbms_repcat.execute_ddl procedure.  It
applies DDL changes through the replication system, without the need to
quiesce.  I've only used the execute_ddl procedure a couple times, but it
worked great.  However, I have read about problems with it on metalink, so
you might want to research it before you try it.

Here's how it's used:

exec
dbms_repcat.execute_ddl('Rep_Group_Name','Site1,Site2,Site3,...','DDL_Command');

Hope that helps,

Alan

Alan Aschenbrenner
Oracle DBA
IHS Group
alan.aschenbrenner@xxxxxxx

                      jaysingh1@optonlin

                      e.net                     To:
oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                  cc:

                      oracle-l-bounce@fr        Subject:  Column Width Increase
for Replication Object
                      eelists.org

                      02/20/2004 09:02

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      oracle-l

Dear All,

We have to increase column width(from100 to 256) for a table which is part
o our replication group. (Oracle Version 8.1.7.3)

The questions are
1) Do we need to Quiesce Replication to increase the column width of the
replication object?

2) Do we have to Re-Generate the replication object?

I altered column width on both side(Using alter table command in
commandline)
and tested . Everything works fine. Just wanted to double confirm any
hidden issues ,etc?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Jay