Re: ** import tuning

  • From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 14:30:06 -0400

A Joshi wrote:

>Thanks to Egor for your help. Also to Mladen Marquez, Chris, Michael McMullen,
>Mark
>Is "_disable_logging to be set at instance level? In init.ora? Or can I re
>create tablespace with nologging option expect the same benefit.

Nologging option disables writing to redo logs. Nothing is written to
redo logs. Absolutely nothing. WMD.
That is true for all operations, not just for direct mode inserts.
Commit basically just marks the transaction
record "committed". That happens in SGA.
Of course, by setting this parameter, you are losing redo log
protection. If the instance crashes while this
parameter is in effect, your database is terminally corrupt. Take a cold
backup before you do that.

It is an instance parameter and cannot be set on  the session level. As
I've previously said, it does speed import
quite a bit, but it definitely is a dangerous parameter. Very dangerous.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA