Re: batch file scripting

  • From: Steve Perry <sperry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:10:04 -0500

that only takes 2  lines :)))

C:\>set f=myfile_%date:~10,4%-%date:~4,2%-%date:~7,2%
C:\>echo %f%
myfile_2006-07-19

seriously though.

Jared, and others, have already mentioned using perl and cygwin. Perl works great between linux and windonts. I use the same script to monitor the alertlog on windows and linux.
if you really want to use a batch script, download the win32 unix ports of grep, sed, awk, cat, wc, tail, tee.... I have a lot of them and used to write some interesting scripts. They were easy to install (i.e. copy ) and eased the pain of cli. the downside is they're only "duct tape". I don't think they're updated anymore so it buys you some time until the "new guy" takes over your scripts ;)

post or email what you want to translate. This is a great place for help.

my 2¢

On Jul 19, 2006, at 12:21 PM, Jared Still wrote:

I would be very surprised if such a site/tool existed.

Any shell script of moderate complexity would be
very difficult to translate to windows batch scripting
via automated facility.

What can be done with 1 or 2 lines in shell often
takes many lines of code in windows.

eg.  A one liner in shell.  Get a filename with a date stamp.
jkstill-0 > f='myfile_'$(date +%Y-%m-%d)
jkstill-0 > echo $f
myfile_2006-07-19

Doing this in Windows requires several lines of vbscript and
temporary files.

If you really need to run the shell scripts in Windows, consider using Cygwin.

Or just rewrite them.

On 7/19/06, Joe Smith <joe_dba@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anybody know of a site that is good for translating unix shell scripts
into Windows batch files? I have two rman scripts that I want to run on a
windows server.

thanks.

Jared Still