RE: all time worst question I have been ever asked as a DBA

  • From: "Aragon, Gabriel (GE, Corporate, consultant)" <gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 17:18:06 -0400

That makes me remember a funny case long time ago (7.3 or 8.0):

Issue: VAX workstation running reports in control room in a steel factory have
to wait 60min for a report to complete, in the meanwhile the control room has
no access to information since computer is running report and not allowing to
do anything else. Totally unacceptable.

Team involved: Manager, developer, DBA (me).

DBA: (to developer) Can you please tell me how are you getting info for the
report?

Dev: Every query calls a view where I have all data I need, since that view
calls another view which calls some other views and then another and …….

DBA: Ooooook, so basically in your final view you are returning almost entire
DB data using nested views, right?

Dev: Yes but this way I can use same view to get all the information I need for
practically every query I have to execute!

DBA: (to manager) give me some time and I will reduce response time by removing
unnecessary views.

Dev: But I need those views! If I don’t use them I will have to write very
specific queries for everything I need from the database!

Manager: I don’t know what to do.

DBA: You should let DBA take care of database activities.

After sometime response time for report was improved to 60 seconds.

Gabriel Aragon

Contractor

GE Corporate Information Systems

T   +52 (449) 910 7392

M +52 (449) 231 4618

gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx <mailto:gabriel.aragon@xxxxxx>

Av. Eugenio Garza Sada #902, Parque Tecnopolo

Aguascalientes, Ags. 20328, Mexico