Re: Why does a datafile extend a very large amount at very infrequent intervals?

  • From: Rich <richa03@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:21:01 -0700

[removing the rest of the email chain to prevent getting over-quoting]
Finally found the answer to this one (with no help from Oracle Support) -
it's due to the new [in 11g] Oracle process ora_smco.
This process "performs tablespace-level space (extent) pre-allocation".

This is noted in Oracle Note 743773.1 (last modified 13APR2012).

Another thing to potentially note about this is that this process spawns
slave processes (ora_w###).

On our instance, we also see these processes consuming more CPU time than
expected - this is bug 12760469: STBH: KTSJ USES CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF
DATABASE TIME/CPU RESOURCE.

This bug is supposed to be fixed in 11.2.0.4.

Rich

Including keywords such that a search will hopefully find this:
NEXT_EXTENT DBA_DATA_FILES INCREMENT_BY