Re: What is the incremental checkpointing?

  • From: "Peter Teoh" <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 14:44:23 +0800

Wow....classic article!!! At least it delved slightly into more lower
level.   I just want to understand why "incremental checkpoint" is
better than the normal complete checkpoint.   I guess there is a
balancing point.   If u do too many small little things (like
incremental does), u end up having less time to do the real work.
Ideally zero incremental checkpoint is the best for performance - at
the price of recovery.

On the other hand, by understanding this "incremental checkpoint"
better, I was looking for a more light-weighted version of it -
"incremental incremental checkpoint".

I will continue to understand the internals better.   Thanks!!!

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:43 AM, Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In regards to checkpointing in general, ML note 147468.1 has a good
> explanation and is easy to read as well.
>
> Note 438176.1 is somewhat outdated, but does have a high level explanation
> of incremental checkpoints.
>
> However it does not answer such questions as "At what level is a incremental
> checkpoint triggered?"
> How old does a block have to be to be 'old'?
>

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Just attended a OU course in Performance Tuning.   After hearing the
> explanation on incremental checkpointing, I still cannot understand the
> purpose/design of this incremental checkpointing.
> >
> > What is the key design, vs complete checkpointing, in Oracle database?
> WHat is the tradeoff that it sacrificed, in order to achieve what it does?
> >

> --
> Jared Still

Regards,
Peter Teoh