Re: What is the incremental checkpointing?

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:43:44 -0700

In regards to checkpointing in general, ML note *147468.1 *has a good
explanation and is easy to read as well.

Note *438176.1* is somewhat outdated, but does have a high level explanation
of incremental checkpoints.

However it does not answer such questions as "At what level is a incremental
checkpoint triggered?"
How old does a block have to be to be 'old'?

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Just attended a OU course in Performance Tuning.   After hearing the
> explanation on incremental checkpointing, I still cannot understand the
> purpose/design of this incremental checkpointing.
>
> What is the key design, vs complete checkpointing, in Oracle database?
> WHat is the tradeoff that it sacrificed, in order to achieve what it does?
>
> --
Jared Still