Re: What is the incremental checkpointing?

  • From: "Peter Teoh" <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jeremy Schneider" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:25:18 +0800

Thank you Jeremy.

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Jeremy Schneider
<jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 8:26 PM, Peter Teoh <htmldeveloper@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > And what is no-force-at-commit policy, as mentioned in this paper
> >

> I can take a stab at this... "no-force-at-commit policy" just means that
> when you COMMIT a transaction, the change is made to a cached copy of the
> data block in memory - but the data block does not need to be written back
> to disk for the COMMIT to complete.  In Oracle when you insert, update or
> delete data the actual data block does not get immediately written to disk.
> The rows you have modified are written to the redo log and the transaction
> is safe because Oracle can reconstruct the data using an old version of the
> block plus the redo log.

At the data/bytes level - what are the key differences between
complete vs incremental checkpointing.

After some search, I think I have found a possible answer:

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:19311485023372

Let me analyze further.   Thank you for the help!!!

--
Regards,
Peter Teoh