Re: What do others do for database file mounts

  • From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew.Cohen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 12:35:26 -0600

Andy,

Unless the mounts you are receiving from the storage have different
performance characteristics, there is little advantage in segregating the
file types.

*I know Oracle stands firm that best practices are to segregate these files
into separate mounts.*

Although this was the standard pre-10g, OFA and the Fast Recovery Area
would contradict this statement. I would suggest one mount for datafiles,
and another for the FRA. Using the FRA for backups, archive logs, flashback
logs and redo logs dramatically reduces the work for the DBA. Multiplex the
control file and archive logs across both mount points.

Seth Miller