Re: What do others do for database file mounts

  • From: "Mladen Gogala" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mgogala@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 13:44:23 -0500

On 02/13/2015 12:13 PM, Cohen, Andrew M. wrote:

Hello List,

We are moving to Fibre Channel connections with all of our storage on a Net App storage unit. One of the questions we got from our system admins was if we could limit the number of mounts that they provide us for out datafiles. With the newer disk technology that we all use, is it still important to segregate mounts for redo, CFs, datafiles, Archive logs, etc? I know Oracle stands firm that best practices are to segregate these files into separate mounts. I’m wondering what others do and if there is a compelling reason to continue this practice?

Thanks,

Andy

If you talk about performance, LUN presented by a SAN contraption like NetApp filer is not a single disk and doesn't behave like one, either. It is just an amount of storage cut from the available storage pool. With thin provisioning it may be allocate on the fly. Personally, I usually put all of the files on the single mount, if at all possible. It saves me some pain and grief when doing snapshots. The most important questions are the questions about the FC throughput: do you have brand new 16GB FC HBA cards, is by any chance a dual connection card and what kind of throughput can you get from your NetApp filer? If you have a 5TB LUN, it will be very easy to snap it, and the performance will depend on the number of IOPS that your filer is able to support. NetApp filers are very sophisticated devices and come with significant cache, command queueing and many other characteristics. What NetApp licenses will you have and how many filers will you have? There are things lilke "FlexClone", "SnapMirror" and "SnapVault" licenses? Will you have unified on-command manager, the artist formerly known as DFM? Also, NetApp filer can provide you significant savings with the Oracle licensing.
Regards,

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA