Re: What do others do for database file mounts

  • From: Michael Cunningham <napacunningham@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Andrew.Cohen@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 11:57:42 -0800

NetApp is my favorite because of the reliability I've experienced. Here is
how I've configured before.

My environment used NFS.
1 volume for the datafiles named /DB_UNIQUE_NAME/datafiles
1 volume for archive log files name /DB_UNIQUE_NAMEarch/arch
1 volume for redo logs /redologs/DB_UNIQUE_NAME

This setup was nice because I could restore a snapshot of /DB_UNIQUE_NAME
only (not /DB_UNIQUE_NAMEarch) and then roll forward using the archive log
files in /DB_UNIQUE_NAMEarch.

Redologs duplexed to local disk also.

I did not use data fabric manager. We wrote our own scripts to perform
snapshot backups and we were able to clone databases in 2 minutes
(regardless of size).

recommendations would be to make sure there are enough disks on the
datafile aggregate/volume to support the IOPS you need. I used SSD for both
datafile and redologs volumes. I also had to put SSD in the local server
because that is where my redolog bottleneck was located. It turned out that
writing redologs to the filer was faster than writing to the local disk -
SSD fixed it.

--
Michael Cunningham