Re: Tuning SGA

  • From: Robert Blok <robert.blok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bunjibry@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:20:16 +0100

Ok, now first of all in response to Paul; yes, if a lease contract is
due then I wouldn't complain about new hardware. I think the question
was more like "would I benefit from a new bigger machine?". In my
opinion we have to start from the beginning; what's the problem?

from your response, Bryan, I read that the reason for upgrading would be
twofold:
- storage demand (new year)
- more functionality (new projects)

Now, when I look at your configuration I see that the machine you bought
is a Xeon. Nothing bad about it, though it's not the latest. What
processors did your Dell have? ;-)

Anyway, in your mail your tell me it's a 4-way machine. I read from this
it's a 2-way processor. Note that hyperthreading is not the same as a
dual processor.

Moving towards a san with your data warehouse should be a good solution.
Does it include backup facilities or snapshot mechanisms? Which storage
is it?

Your connection to your san is through scsi I see. Do you have any idea
about how much data traffic goes on around here?

You say that you have 10G left. If your system is a data warehouse and
you start thinking about upgrading your storage now, I think the system
does not grow very fast. What's the characteristic of your data
warehouse. Is it mainly a loading system or mainly used for retrieval?
If it's a loading dwh, you don't have to worry about your io (it would
be too less I guess). If it is a retrieval system you might.

Now then to your database. Hit ratios are maybe not the best thing to
mention around this list. It's a bit of a course method to figure out
wether your database is running ok or not. You might want to look for
wait events in the database (you can check on the ixora site for more
information). Wait events tell you what the database is doing in a
certain time. A statspack report may give you a lot of information about
your system.

Last thing is the ETL (Extract/Translate/Load) layer. I assume your data
warehouse is loaded with some sort of tool? Is this tool placed on the
data warehouse machine or on a seperate machine? What is the load
generated by this tool?

Bottom line is that the first question about your increased demand for
storage would be sufficiently answered. A san is usually a better
solution than local storage and I'm sure you would have calculated the
size good.

The second question is a bit more complicated. For what the size of the
sga concerns, I would like to point you to the information in a
statspack report (by the way; it's 9i I hope?). When you look at the
system itself, the performance of the entire chain of applications is
based on the performance of all the components in this chain (all the
different nodes). Was the cpu-load a problem, then placing more data in
memory wouldn't decrease the problem, so check whether our new box then
has cpu-bottleneck still.