Re: Tuning SGA

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bunjibry@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:52:52 +0000

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 17:39:38 -0700, Bryan Wells <bunjibry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All...
>
> we are moving a production 9iR2 data warehouse to a new 4-way with 8G
> memory.  was wondering if its worth upping my SGA to take advantage of
> this extra memeory?  currently we are using less than 2 on 4G and my
> hit ratio as of today is 1.
>
> If so what pieces of the SGA are best to up since most processing
> occurs in batch overnight from 1am to 8am.  I can see upping Buffer
> Cache but this is my first attempt at this and look to the experts.

batch processes often, but not always, do lots of sorting and hashing
if this is the case then increasing the size of PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET
might well be worth a look.

I'd start with where you are today and only change things in response
to a problem - of course you may be buying the server in response to a
problem, in which case problem details would be helpful.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA