Re: Transparent Data Encryption

  • From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 18:19:10 -0500

IMHO the docs are a little thin on this, but admittedly I haven't
looked around a ton and I might be missing some good web tutorials.

I've been completely immersed in 11gR2 TDE for the past months - so
let me take a stab at a few of those issue you hit.

First off, it seems that a lot changes in 12c.  Just be warned...
you'll probably have to re-learn everything on multitenant.

1) EM - I have no idea, I haven't bothered with EM yet at all. <g>

2) location: select WRL_PARAMETER from [G]V$ENCRYPTION_WALLET is definitive.

3) opening and closing wallets: very important to understand there are
(at least) 3 kinds of wallets. the 'standard' p12 wallet on disk, the
sso/auto-open wallet, and HSM (hardware) wallets.  multiple wallets
can be open simultaneously and oracle has a very unhelpful interface
around the whole thing.

3a) standard p12: ALTER SYSTEM SET ENCRYPTION WALLET OPEN IDENTIFIED
BY "PASSWORD" to open and ALTER SYSTEM SET ENCRYPTION WALLET CLOSE
IDENTIFIED BY "PASSWORD" to close

3b) sso/auto-open: query [G]V$ENCRYPTION_WALLET to open [accessing
tables might do it too] and ALTER SYSTEM SET ENCRYPTION WALLET CLOSE
to close.

there's no way to check if wallets are open without triggering the sso
wallet to auto-open itself.  the only way to "verify" that it's closed
is actually rename/move cwallet.sso and then "set encryption wallet
close" and then query v$encryption_wallet.

4) orapki and mkstore utilities: i've only used three commands so far:
"orapki wallet create" to setup the -auto_login_local wallet, and
"mkstore -viewEntry" and "orapki wallet display" to view the contents.
agree doc & help isn't great.

I'm just brain dumping here, hoping something helps you out.  Good
luck with TDE and post any other questions to oracle-l; if I'm around
then I'll try to answer stuff I can - since I've recently been digging
into this feature!

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider