Re: Standby database switching between read-only and recovery modes question

  • From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Vishal Gupta <vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 13:33:52 -0500

I thought that configuration fell under Active Data Guard (which we don't
have a license for). Am I mistaken?

If I'm mistaken on that, I'll be glad to keep it in recovery mode! I'll
have to go research now....

Thanks,
Chris

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM, Vishal Gupta <vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

You can have the managed recovery running while database is open in READ
ONLY mode. Why do you want to take it from OPEN mode to MOUNT mode?

Regards,
Vishal Gupta

On 15 Apr 2015, at 18:25, Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

For those of you who switch your standby db between read-only and recovery
mode (non active data guard), how do you manage it?

I've in the process of configuring a reporting database as a standby db,
and I *think* I'm going to have to have a script that does 2 things (or 2
scripts).

1 - end recovery mode/open the db read-only during business hours
2 - close the db and put it back in recovery mode

I'm wondering about the "best" way to accomplish item #2. If there are
users connected to the DB, I have to kill those sessions *if* I want to do
an "alter database close". Should I just scratch that idea and do a
shutdown abort on the standby and reopen it?

I'm basically curious how other people are managing the switch between
read-only and recovery modes and if you're killing sessions or just
shutting down the db to put it back in recovery mode?

Thanks,
Chris