Standby database switching between read-only and recovery modes question

  • From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 12:25:21 -0500

For those of you who switch your standby db between read-only and recovery
mode (non active data guard), how do you manage it?

I've in the process of configuring a reporting database as a standby db,
and I *think* I'm going to have to have a script that does 2 things (or 2
scripts).

1 - end recovery mode/open the db read-only during business hours
2 - close the db and put it back in recovery mode

I'm wondering about the "best" way to accomplish item #2. If there are
users connected to the DB, I have to kill those sessions *if* I want to do
an "alter database close". Should I just scratch that idea and do a
shutdown abort on the standby and reopen it?

I'm basically curious how other people are managing the switch between
read-only and recovery modes and if you're killing sessions or just
shutting down the db to put it back in recovery mode?

Thanks,
Chris