Re: Solaris ZFS File system

  • From: "Alex Gorbachev" <ag@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle.tutorials@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 02:26:09 -0500

It's a bit more than RAID level. It's how filesystem is organized and
the principles of ZFS.

Some time ago I found those references interesting from performance perspective:
http://blogs.sun.com/realneel/entry/zfs_and_databases
http://blogs.sun.com/roch/date/20060922
However, the comparison is not with RAID but with another filesystem, UFS.

Here is the nice overview but it doesn't really go into internals to
understand what are the potential issues:
http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/zfs_overview.jsp

--
Alex Gorbachev, Oracle DBA Brewer, The Pythian Group
http://www.pythian.com/blogs/author/alex http://www.oracloid.com