Re: Slightly OT: Oracle's new Acclaim badges

  • From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 09:34:58 -0500

I appreciate the comments about my blog. My thoughts on the badge business are
a little more basic. If you want to recognize me for something, it should be
something I can put in the bank. An OCP, along with proven experience and
ability is good for the bottom line. Acclaim badges? I see no use for them.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 21, 2015, at 6:39 AM, Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Good day,

I happen to be exploring Open Badges, so it was with great interest that I
looked into how Oracle is jumping on the Open Badge bandwagon with Acclaim
(from Pearson). Yet, I find myself being very disappointed with the initial
deployment of badges.

In regards to Andrew Kerber's "Critical DBA Skills" thread last month, the
Oracle badges do not clearly identify any fundamental skills whatsoever; the
badge does indeed list generic top-level skills like the catch-all "DBA", but
all the so-called skills link directly to the job market. The one and only
"criteria" is that one has to obtain an Oracle certificate.

I love Mr. Kerber's thread because what he is essentially asking is "what
does a warm body need to be able to do to make it in our career choice?" And
some of the follow-up was excellent, like Dave Morgan's response about having
the proper attitude.

Anyone else have thoughts about the new Oracle badge program?

--
Charles Schultz