Slightly OT: Oracle's new Acclaim badges

  • From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 06:39:43 -0500

Good day,

I happen to be exploring Open Badges, so it was with great interest that I
looked into how Oracle is jumping on the Open Badge bandwagon with Acclaim
(from Pearson). Yet, I find myself being very disappointed with the initial
deployment of badges.

In regards to Andrew Kerber's "Critical DBA Skills" thread last month
<https://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Critical-DBA-Skills>, the Oracle
badges do not clearly identify any fundamental skills whatsoever; the badge
does indeed list generic top-level skills like the catch-all "DBA", but all
the so-called skills link directly to the job market. The one and only
"criteria" is that one has to obtain an Oracle certificate.

I love Mr. Kerber's thread because what he is essentially asking is "what
does a warm body need to be able to do to make it in our career choice?"
And some of the follow-up was excellent, like Dave Morgan's response about
having the proper attitude.

Anyone else have thoughts about the new Oracle badge program?

--
Charles Schultz