Slightly OT: Flash Storage

  • From: Biju Thomas <biju.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 11:15:05 -0600

Happy Friday!

I am trying to understand how flash storage is used in the Oracle database
industry, what is the trend in moving towards more flash or all flash. (I
am not an expert, so my assumptions and understanding of various products
may be wrong). We currently use hybrid array for Oracle database, also no
engineered systems (yet :-( ) .

I know Oracle is moving/encouraging to go flash direction with some level
of flash storage in engineered system and ZFS storage. Also, comes the new
FS1 arrays... EMC has hybrid solutions like VMAX and extreme solutions like
xtremeio. Other major storage vendors have similar products as well. Then
we have another layer (if my understanding is correct) of flash solutions
from Pure, Nimble, Violin, etc.

In the Oracle database world, if you are not using Oracle Engineered
Systems or Super Cluster, how much of a flash adoption you have? Do you go
with hybrid storage solutions from big players like EMC / Netapp, or use
all flash storage? What is the industry trend?

If you are using all flash storage, what things did you consider to make
the choice?

Thanks a bunch!

Biju Thomas
@biju_thomas <https://twitter.com/biju_thomas>