Re: Slightly OT: Flash Storage

  • From: Austin Hackett <hacketta_57@xxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l digest users <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 12:37:28 +0000

Hi Biju

I worked on a project to re-platform a database, and flash storage featured in
the solution. This was an existing NFS & NetApp shop and time pressures meant
it wasn't possible to introduce any major architectural changes into the
environment. For this reason NetApp Flash Pool was chosen e.g. a large SSD
cache backed by HDD. 10 GbE and Oracle Direct NFS were also used. The solution
worked well - the forecast performance improvements were delivered. These were
based on an analysis of current IO wait time and average I/O latency for
performance critical SQL statements versus what would happen if average I/O
latency was reduced to 1 msec.

Thanks

Austin--