RE: SAP Reorgs

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:39:11 -0400

Tim,

Reorgs do have a purpose.  But just not as a regular part of the =
business
cycle.  I perform reorgs on six tables about every quarter.  Why?  =
Because
they are constantly having records inserted and deleted every day.  And =
my
version of Oracle (8.1.7) does not do a good job of reusing the deleted
space - I've seen the data files just growing and growing.  So I =
perform
"alter table move" commands to alternate tablespaces, followed by a =
move
back to their original space to keep the files from gorwing out of
proportion.  Of course, I rebuild the indexes also.

So there is a valid reason for doing reorgs.  But in my case, it is =
because
the files are growing.  But not for any other "efficiencies".

Have a nice weekend.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional