Re: SAP Reorgs

  • From: J.Polet@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:12:38 +0200

I try to understand all these warnings about reorganizing
All the comments seem to say:
Reorganizing is a bad practice unless....
Instead of
Reorganizing is OK but be aware off......

To my opinion reorganizing is OK when , as a result of it, a table or index
occupies less data blocks.
This will, in general, not only cause less LIO for this segment. but it
will also cause less disk I/O, leaves more block buffers  available for
other segments and will decrease the amount of disk space used by the
database.
You should however always use your common sense (the "be aware of" part).
The effects of running the reorganization on resource usages or response
times should be in balance with the results after the reorganization
(better response times, less LIO, less memory usage).
It could be that more experienced people on this list already know that
this is almost always the case
However the arguments I see on the list together with my own experience
haven't' convinced me yet.

Jaco Polet