Re: Really annoying change to 11.2 sqlplus

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: steve.harville@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:09:39 -0800 (PST)

> If you want to retain the DOS window when you intentionally hit
> control-c, you can set your sqlplus shortcut  target to
> "C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k sqlplus"

That's true. But there's no way to avoid exiting Sqlplus, although
Control-C doesn't always exit. I had an enhancement request in 2009
https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=BUG&id=8890996
but it didn't catch their attention. I think all their developers need
to do is add code SetConsoleCtrlHandler().

Related. Here's what I said in an article about Windows Sqlplus (which
is gone in 11g):

Having said all these, the Windows version Sqlplus does have some unique
features missing in the DOS version:

    * Windows Sqlplus never exits out of Sqlplus when you press Control-C
(UNIX/Linux sqlplus doesn't either), while DOS Sqlplus may. Hopefully
Enhancement Request 8890996 will finally get Oracle's attention.
    * The Windows Sqlplus has much more powerful special character
display than the DOS version. Try
select chr(49833) copyright from dual;
in both to see what I mean. The weak capability of the DOS version could
be dangerous in some cases; if the text column has two Carriage Return's,
the Windows Sqlplus shows a rectangular dot but the DOS version silently
"erases" the first part of the text. Try
select 'x'||chr(13)||'y'||chr(13)||'z' from dual;
The behavior doesn't change with different NLS_LANG settings.

Yong Huang