Re: RMAN "Memory fault"

  • From: Tim Gorman <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:02:21 -0600

LD_LIBRARY_PATH and/or SHLIB_PATH are UNIX environment variables, and easy to get wrong when switching environments, unless you've got your environment-setting scripts solid.

Also, could be fun to compare "ulimit -a" output in the environment where it works and where it doesn't...

Database parms are almost certainly blameless for this type of error.  It is probably environment (i.e. env variables, process limits, etc) or it could be an executable shared-library file that's been overwritten or had it's permissions hosed, or something like that.  That's why I suggest running "file" against each of the shared libraries returned in the "ldd" command -- one of those shared libraries might just come back as "data" instead of "executable", indicating that someone or something reset permissions so the file is no longer executable, for example...

Might also try something like the following:

for _Dir in `echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH | sed 's/:/ /'`
do
    echo "\nSearching \"${_Dir}\" for files newer than \"\$ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman\"..."
    find ${_Dir}-name "*.so" -newer $ORACLE_HOME/bin/rman -exec ls -l {} \;
done

On the off-chance that a shared-library used by RMAN is newer than the RMAN executable file...

Herring Dave - dherri wrote:
The platform is 64-bit.  We've got 2 databases on this server, one
working fine with the RMAN "DELETE OBSOLETE" command, the other not.  My
assumption is that something has passed a threshold causing this error.
No database parameters have been changed from when this command worked
until it doesn't.

I did validate that the "ldd" command comes back clean, though.

Dave

David C. Herring, DBA  |   A c x i o m  Delivery Center Organization

630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 wireless | 630-944-4989 fax