Re: RESETLOGS w/o incomplete recovery

  • From: Bob <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:18:18 -0400

Nice!

> begin
 2  for i in 1 ..10
 3  loop
 4  execute immediate 'alter system switch logfile';
 5  end loop;
 6  end;
 7  /

> archive log list;
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST
Oldest online log sequence     9
Next log sequence to archive   11
Current log sequence           11

> shutdown immediate;
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.

> startup mount;
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  289406976 bytes
Fixed Size                  1248576 bytes
Variable Size             104858304 bytes
Database Buffers          176160768 bytes
Redo Buffers                7139328 bytes
Database mounted.

> recover database until cancel;
Media recovery complete.
> alter database open resetlogs;

Database altered.

> archive log list;
Database log mode              Archive Mode
Automatic archival             Enabled
Archive destination            USE_DB_RECOVERY_FILE_DEST
Oldest online log sequence     0
Next log sequence to archive   1
Current log sequence           1

Mark J. Bobak wrote:

It's been a while, and this is from memory, but I don't believe you need
to re-create the control file. If I recall correctly, it's as simple
as:
shutdown immediate
(if you need to do an abort above, make sure you startup and shutdown
immediate, immediately following. Since you're resetting the on-line
redo, you need a clean shutdown.)
startup mount
recover database until cancel;
cancel
alter database open resetlogs;

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify