RE: RESETLOGS w/o incomplete recovery

  • From: "Schultz, Charles" <sac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 19:24:34 -0500

I have simply recreated the controlfile in the past, although I am not
sure this is the "best" way to do it.

backup controlfile to trace, alter the resulting trace file (modify
those annoying comments so they are real sql*plus comments, and anything
else you need/want). There are two scenarios in the backed up
controlfile, the first a noresetlogs, the 2nd with resetlogs. I believe
you will want the 2nd example. No recovery needed, unless (depending on
how you shut down), the database will not start because sys needs "is
not a current copy" and needs to be recovered. Simply point the recovery
to the online redo logs, if this is the case.