Re: RAC platform usage

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yong321@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 17:36:44 -0500

I'm not sure that's really fair. There are lots of happy customers on Itanium (many of them aren't using Oracle) and I've heard of similar symptoms (mysterious hangs and the like) on Linux x86, Linux x86-64, Windows, and Solaris.

I still agree that I wouldn't choose Linux Itanium for my mission-critical RAC deployment right now, but I don't think I'd blacklist it forever either.

Dan

Yong Huang wrote:
My understanding is that
Itanium is a platform with a pretty poor takeup.
Niall

Not only do I agree, but I think that's an under-statement. For historical
reason, our group inherited a 4-node Linux RAC on Itanium. This critical
database experienced numerous mysterious hangs in the past few months (and
possibly more before I joined). There's no trace or log in Oracle, on OS, on
storage, on server consoles. When they hang, ping works but nothing else.
Console is blank and not responding. The only way to bring them back is a human
pushing the power button. I posted questions to Linux newsgroups, asked our
SAs, suggested a theory of CPU temperature spike. No progress is made.
Fortunately, apps on these expensive boxes are slowly migrated off.

For articles I found about Itanium failures, see my list:
http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/ItaniumProblem.txt

Yong Huang

Be a better friend, newshound, and

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l