Re: RAC platform usage

  • From: Yong Huang <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 12:37:55 -0700 (PDT)

> My understanding is that
> Itanium is a platform with a pretty poor takeup.
> Niall

Not only do I agree, but I think that's an under-statement. For historical
reason, our group inherited a 4-node Linux RAC on Itanium. This critical
database experienced numerous mysterious hangs in the past few months (and
possibly more before I joined). There's no trace or log in Oracle, on OS, on
storage, on server consoles. When they hang, ping works but nothing else.
Console is blank and not responding. The only way to bring them back is a human
pushing the power button. I posted questions to Linux newsgroups, asked our
SAs, suggested a theory of CPU temperature spike. No progress is made.
Fortunately, apps on these expensive boxes are slowly migrated off.

For articles I found about Itanium failures, see my list:
http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/ItaniumProblem.txt

Yong Huang

Be a better friend, newshound, and