RAC - mix Intel and AMD in same cluster ?

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 16:54:13 -0400

Has anybody here built or upgraded a 10g RAC cluster using a mix of both
Intel and AMD processors ?  We have an existing 3 node RAC cluster, RH
Linux 4 with AMD Opteron 3 ghz dual core cpu's.   It is being considered
to add a 4th node but with Intel CPU since the servers we used ( HP DL
585 G2 ) are no longer available new.   Any thoughts in mixing Intel and
AMD processors in the same cluster ?  We are also looking at upgrading
the existing processors from dual-core to quad-core, but the quads seem
to max out at 2.4 ghz while the duals go to at least 3.2 ghz.  Obviously
OS and Oracle will stay same version, but we might be forced to use
Intel to add additional nodes, assuming it even works.