Re: Primary Key seems to be harmful for performance

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:31:40 +1100

genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx said,on my timestamp of 10/03/2006 1:12 AM:

disabled a PK on one of the tables. I can't modify the SQL in any way
because it is generated by
a reporting tool (Cognos) it won't add hints or +0 etc.

Don't you just love that? :(

What I was mostly wondering is whether this situation (PK createing a
performance degradation) is a symptom of
some other problem which I need to look at.

I don't think so, abstracting any "undocumented features". Like Kevin said, stored outlines might be of help here? And if it's 10g, we're supposed to be able to hint a statement directly in the cache, without need of the source. Or at least that's what the white papers would have one believe.

-- Cheers Nuno Souto in sunny Sydney, Australia dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx -- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l