Re: Best Practice - Oracle Network thru Firewall

  • From: "Greg Norris" <spikey.mcmarbles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 09:26:51 -0600

On 3/6/06, Tony Jambu <tjambu_freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The client made a decision in the past about letting SQL Net thru the
> FW.  Not much I can do there now.  Oracle Advance Security is
> probably not an option the client will go with but no harm discussing it.

In this sort of situation I prefer to use the port-forwarding
capabilities of OpenSSH... this way you at least require strong
authentication before allowing access.  With a fairly small amount of
configuration effort, you can actually lock down the OpenSSH daemon
pretty tightly.

Managing the user side is, admittedly, a bit more demanding.  Much of
this can be alleviated, however, by setting up a standard PuTTY
configuration which could simply be emailed to the relevant users.

--
"I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred.