Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 23:25:42 +0100

On 5/31/06, MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > On 5/31/06, MVE <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: > > What edge does Linux on a PC has over Solaris on a Sun Box? > > Adequate performance at a hugely reduced cost. Windows has this as well. As > a rule of thumb, yes I know!, you can now run at least a hundred concurrent > sessions of an erp app on hardware and software costing less than GBP4000 > (oracle license excluded). Is it cast iron guaranteed reliable and > available, well no. Do you need it to be - probably not. > > Niall Litchfield

That hardware cost "reduction" is irrelevant when you figure the rest of
the
cost to run a fairly decent size shop on ORACLE.

well define fairly decent sized.  I'm firmly in the < 5000 employees < 300
concurrent user space here.

And when a shop has close 1 MIL in license and support fees the lousy 8K are
not even a drop of water in the bucket.

well I just priced a 4-way opteron based system from HP with 4gb of ram (plenty for the type of customer I had in mind) at just over 5k us dollars. without any corporate deal. Again the list price of Oracle EE + support for this (don't need to buy EE here but lets just inflate things anyway) is 166k USD. again no corporate deal.

of course I could just buy a 4 way sun 440 for 24k and license Oracle at the same 166k.

so on a spend of 190k  I just saved 19k or 10%. people like this. especially
when they realize that a 4 way opteron likely beats an 8 way sparc 3 and
they just saved 187k out of 280 odd.

And then 4 years later there's the mighty APPS upgrade and here you are on a
fluid-always-changing platform (Linux), shoot in the foot, having to work
twice
as hard for what?  For a lousy 8K reduction in the initial cost of
hardware
that is already obsolete anyway?

Now I agree that linux is a far too volatile base, but compared to apps? - come on. So long as you don't do legal patches, security patches and rollups you are probably in the same ball park.

-- Niall Litchfield Oracle DBA http://www.orawin.info