Re: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: Mogens Nørrgaard <mln@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:15:09 +0200

Yo Mladen,

So what is this now? I'm sitting here in Anjo Kolk's living room with one (just one!) whisky (40 years old) and one (just one) good beer, and then suddenly I'm unable to drink, because I see the most bitter, twisted and old man in the community not being able to accept when someone else than himself - or me - is making a joke?

I happen to have known Mary-Ann pretty much from the day she walked into Oracle, and I've shared (sigh) a room with her for three full days (only the two of us) while learning INTENSELY about that good, old Trusted version of Oracle that was supposed to run on secure O/S'es (like SecureVMS), etc., etc.

So just as I will always tell people that Mladen might not be as pretty as I am, but he might not be too stupid all day long, I will always be happy to tell anyone that is forced to listen (that's all of them), that Mary-Ann is about as tough, smart and honest as they come. You might not like it, but I happen to know what I'm talking about here (I think). You might have experiences in dealing with her that are not good, but she is one tough AND smart lady. Those 15 years in Naval Intelligence before joining Oracle shows when you're close and actually talking to her, I tell you. She's got strong eyes, too, I tell you.

She's also got enough class and guts to fire off a fine (and very, very true) observation about the Brits and their hacking habits. For Heaven's Sake, Mladen - she was in Bloody Scotland, firing off a joke about the blokes in South Scotland (England). Would you not have had the guts to fire off that joke? I think you would, and I hope you would.

Otherwise, it's Mladen PC Gogale from now on :-))).

As for the other issues raised in this thread, I'll respond in a separate email.

Yo, Mladen. Love you, man.

Peace, Love & Happiness.

Mo.

Mladen Gogala wrote:

On 05/30/2006 09:28:41 AM, Mercadante, Thomas F (LABOR) wrote:

Charles,

I like this quote:

She claimed that the British are particularly good at hacking as they
have "the perfect temperament to be hackers--technically skilled,
slightly disrespectful of authority, and just a touch of criminal
behavior."

That quote proves that even a total imbecile can become chief security officer at Oracle Corp. I have to ask myself if this use of national prejudices and the attitude of not admitting any mistakes on part of Oracle is just her attitude or a pervasive attitude on part of the Oracle Corp. As for "the culture of hacking", she might need to look at her product
and the way it's being tested. Outsourcing development to Elbonia because of
the development cost doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Oracle, as any
other corporation, is all about the bottom line. She's just blowing smoke because Oracle will have to spend money on testing the products before they
ship them. Replacing product testing by changing culture is a neat idea, very
similar to the idea of flying by flapping hands. If only we had a culture of
the birds and were flapping hard enough, we would all be flying.