RE: Oracle's relationships with expert DBAs (and the rest of us mere mortals)

  • From: "John Kanagaraj" <john.kanagaraj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <mvetmp-ora@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 16:19:38 -0700

All,

From another Apps-specific list I know of a recent trend where ORACLE
APPS customers are moving from "UNIX" to "Linux". Issues such as SAN
compatibility, Upgrade of Linux version (RHAS 2.1 to 3.0 in this case:
RH will support only a fresh install - ct wants a 2.1 to 3.0 upgrade and
the SAN vendor does not support RH 4), tussles between SysAdmins and
DBAs over patches and versions, etc. are still an issue. Many are
considering RAC with Oracle Apps where it makes sense (??) to "scale
out" (using RAC) instead of "scale up" (using Big(ger) Iron). Not sure
how this is going to pan out as we are just beginning to see this
trend...

I suppose that such questions and issues will settle down over time, but
this list is right in saying that the human cost of maintenance (and
associated downtime when something goes wrong) will far outweigh the
cost savings for an OS / lesser hardware purchase in the long run....

John Kanagaraj