Re: Oracle alternatives

  • From: Sean Hull <shull@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 17:00:45 -0400 (EDT)

> Oracle will always be my first love, but I have been dabbling with MySql on
> the side. Your article, plus a few of your other posts, have gotten me a bit
> curious about PostGres. What would be the best way to get started learned
> the specifics? I already have several linux boxen to play with. Got any book
> recommendations?

You may also like to take a look at Firebird which was based on the
Interbase database which was open sourced some time ago.
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

> > True, but no more than 2 cpu's and there are other restrictions.
> > Besides $0 beats $5,000 every time.=20

I wouldn't say everytime.  There are many instances when the $0 db just
can't handle the volume of data, or is missing major features you require.
Also $0 is just the license cost, you still have to set it up, and keep it
running.  So there are obviously other costs.

Though I'm a big open source proponent (as you can see from my site
http://oracleopensource.com) you still have to do the due dilligence and
test test test.  Open Source does not necessarily mean FREE, EASY, PROBLEM
FREE, and EASY STREET, as folks sometimes assume.

One other thing that's interesting to me.  I was on this list in 1997, and
in those days I heard little about open source, some about Linux, and a
bit about Perl.  These days it seems MySQL, Postgres, Open Source, Linux,
and Perl are big topics of discussion, so certainly things have changed...

My $0.02

Sean

--
Sean Hull, Senior Consultant
Heavyweight Internet Group

Sean Hull, founder and senior consultant of Heavyweight Internet Group
is the author of O'Reilly and Associates "Oracle and Open Source"
bridging Open Source software and integration with the world's best
performing database, Oracle. http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleopen/