Partitioned tables & indexes

  • From: sol beach <sol.beach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 14:02:13 -0700

Oracle v9.2
I'll admit I don't have a lot of real world experience using
partitioned tables or indexes.
I've inherited an application which has a couple of tables partitioned
on "DATE_CREATED";
where each partition contains 1 month data.
Records are ONLY inserted into this table at a rate about a million per day=
.
There is an index (partitioned) on the DATE_CREATED column.
I've run EXPLAIN PLANS on a half dozen or more SQL queries this morning
all of which have a where clause similar to the following:
WHERE  date_created >=3D  TO_DATE('2005-01-01 00:00:00','YYYY-MM-DD HH24:MI=
:SS')
 AND       date_created <   TO_DATE('2005-05-04 00:00:00','YYYY-MM-DD
HH24:MI:SS')
NONE of queries  ever used the index & always did a FTS.
What could be done to actually start using this index?
The bottom line problem is that queries  against this table are just
taking longer & longer to
complete.

Any ideas, hints, suggestions or Fine Manual names so I can RTFM would
be welcomed.

TIA!